Saturday, February 4, 2017

Not an NFL Fan but I am Thankful for the Super Bowl

I am not a big fan of the NFL, but this year I am actually enjoying some of the Super Bowl hoopla.  It is probably due to the fact at least for a while there is something on the news other than the turmoil in Washington.  It is not just our President who is creating the news. It is also those who are reacting to his decisions.  There is no denying that we are a highly divided nation.

A recent report from Pew Research underscores just how at odds we are when it comes to national issues such as immigration.  As with many topics the line is clearly drawn by generation.  Teens and young adults have a whole different set of priorities than do baby boomers.  For example, while a 58% of those 65 and older say strengthening the military is a top priority, just a third of those younger than 30 say the same.  The two generations are also widely divided on the current hot issue of immigration.  Immigration is an issue for 56% of older adults, compared to 36% of millennials.

In most cases, individual priorities are based on our experience.  As an older adult, Social Security and health care are a high priority for me.  I do not expect those under thirty to share my concern on those issues.  Still, I would hope they would understand my needs.  In the same way, I need to try to understand them.  I need to try to view things from their perspective.


I am part of a worship community where we are constantly reminded that “it is not about me.”  In that context, Jesus continues to be a model of someone who focused on the needs of others.  He calls us to do the same.  The future of our nation depends on our ability to listen to each other and becoming united in a sense of purpose.  In the same way the future of the church hinges on our ability to respond to the needs of others, as opposed to focusing on ourselves.  Somehow we need to become more united not just in our priorities, but our sense of purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment