Monday, February 27, 2017

My Image Problem

I have an image problem.  Before you jump to a conclusion about what I have done, if you are a member of a mainline Protestant church you have an image problem as well.  The problem comes in the perception that many people, especially young adults, have us.  When it comes to the degree of warmth, Millennials have more positive vibes toward Buddhist and Hindus than they do Protestants and Evangelical Christian.

Pew Research recently did a study to determine how Americans view different religious group.  Those polled were asked to rate various religions group on a “feeling thermometer” ranging from 0 to 100.  For the overall study, Jews (67), Catholics (66), Mainline Protestants (65), Evangelicals (61) and Buddhist (60) made up the top five.  Not surprising, in light of the cultural climate, Muslims had the lowest warmth level (48). 

There was a high degree of disparity across the generations.  Generally older adults had a higher regard for mainline Christianity.  Millennials felt the highest degree of warmth toward Buddhist (66), Hindus (64) and Catholics (64).  Mainline Protestants (59) were just ahead of Muslims (58).
 
There was one interesting point that was included in the study.  Across the board American expressed a warmer feeling toward a religions group if they were personally familiar with someone who was a member of that group.  As an example: Those who do not know anyone who is Buddhist give Buddhists an average rating of 56 degrees on the feeling thermometer.  That compares with a much warmer 75 among those who do know a Buddhist.  What is most troubling for me is that most millennials probably have regular contact with someone who calls themselves “Christian."  Despite that it seems as though they have mixed feelings about Christians. 

For me the challenge now becomes how can I change that perception?  It is not so much that I want people to like me, but rather that I want them to see Jesus in me.  I want them to view me as a loving person who accepts others for who they are.  It challenges me to be more open to people who are different, showing them the same compassion and grace I show toward those who share my Christian faith. 

We are called to be Jesus is a world that is very different that the one most of us grew up in.  Value have changed and we are more ethnically and culturally diverse.  We need to venture out into that world and get to know our neighbors, not because we want to convert them to Christianity.  Only the Holy Spirit can do that.  Rather we need to be the hands and feet of Jesus. 



No comments:

Post a Comment