Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Reflections on another Birthday


I celebrated my 74th Birthday last week.  I got a lot of greetings on Facebook and more than a few humorous cards.  I was blessed to be surrounded by family for dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Babe’s Chicken.  I even wowed the crowd with my “chicken dance” as the wait staff sang in my honor.  (Rumor is there is a video of that somewhere).  I came away feeling blessed.  My health is good; I have a loving family and am Awesome God.

My celebration was put into perspective on Sunday evening.  Barb and I were invited to a surprise birthday party for our good friend Dr. Gary Schaper.  Gary’s wife and daughter had planned the event to celebrate his 80th Birthday.  As we sat around visiting prior to dinner we discovered that two of the other men present were also celebrating their 80th Birthdays this month as well. 

The encouraging thing for me was that even though Barb and I were the youngest couple present by at least five years, we were surrounded by youth, energy and vitality.  I am beginning to think that eighty is the new sixty-five.  Turning 65 and moving toward retirement can be energizing, but so can turning eighty and beginning a new decade. 

Granted, as I age there are some things that I can no longer do.  Staying awake past 10 PM is one of them.  I have also learned the value of a “power nap.”  But there are also a lot of things that I still can do.  And at seventy-four I can still not only stay active and involved but make plans for the future.  There are still projects that I want to take on and things I want to share through this blog.  There are also a lot of folks around me who do not know Jesus.  I can move forward knowing every day is a blessing and another gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment