Saturday, March 28, 2020

Survivors Guide to the New Normal


Prior to this coronavirus Pandemic, I had a pretty balanced rhythm to my life.  I tried to be in asleep by 10:30 PM and awake by 7::00 AM. I always began each day with my devotional time.  As a writer my mornings were always spent on my laptop in the family room.  My afternoon routine varied by the day.  Monday afternoon I would spend time with our grandson, Daniel, who was always with us for the day.  Tuesdays and Thursdays were set aside for hospital visitations for the chaplaincy service.  Wednesday afternoon was when I spent time at DFW Airport serving as an ambassador (Terminal C-Gate 12).  Friday afternoon was when I spent time at the library reading periodicals and doing research.  Saturdays were set aside for chores and Sundays were set aside for worship and reading the Dallas Morning News.  Yes, I watched sports, but usually I had it on more for background noise. 

The shelter at home order as changed all that.  I cannot visit the hospitals and the ambassador program has been suspended.  The library is closed and I cannot even spend time writing at my local Starbucks.  Instead of Sunday morning fellowship, I am watching worship online.  Even our time with Daniel is on hold until this virus thing goes away.  I have had to make some major adjustments but overall, I am doing okay. 

If you are struggling, I do have three suggestions.

Stay spiritually focused: I am spending more time in The Word each morning.  I am also enjoying the morning online devotions with my pastor.  At this point my main connection with my brothers and sisters in Christ is via chatbox.  I have made it a practice to select an appropriate scripture verse each day and commit it to memory.  I try to use that verse as a touch-point throughout the day.

Have an agenda:  I have always functioned better when I have a list.  When I head to Ace Hardware I have a list of the items I need, so I do not get distracted by the tempting displays throughout the store.  On Saturdays I always have a list of the chores so I stay on task.  Now I am writing down the things I plan or need to accomplish each at the end of my devotional time.  I even list the menial tasks like, doing the wash and taking out the trash.  I find a sense of satisfaction when I reach the end of the day and look at my list and see all the check marks.

Stay Connected: Communication is definitely different in the world of “social distancing” and “shelter in place” orders.  I have to remind myself that we are blessed to be going through this experience at such a time as this.  I have learned the value of Facetime and Zoom conferencing   But even talking to friends on the phone is not a substitute for the face-to-face conversations I so long for.  I am a walker, but I have changed my routine.  Instead using the walking path by my house, I am walking the neighborhood.  I try to walk in late afternoon and early evening.  I do find people working in their yards and playing with their kids.  I am developing some new relationships with the folks in my community. 

I am confident that this current situation will pass.  Until, then I accept that it is what it is.  I am still God’s child, just living in a land that is very foreign.  Carry on, my friends.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment